January is "Lock It Up" Month
Updated: Jan 21
In January Floyd Against Drugs (FAD) will be conducting a Lock It Up campaign to join other coalitions that recognize that 70% of youth are getting prescription drugs from the home. The campaign was made possible with assistance from a grant from the Noon Optimist Club.
The single most effective way to prevent accidental poisonings, overdoses, and misuse from prescription and over-the-counter medications is investing in a locking cabinet, drawer, or lockbox to store them safely at home. For the sake of our children, our neighbor’s children, and all our loved ones, FAD wants to spread the message to keep medication locked and stored away.
Did you know:
· More than 6.5 million teens ages 12 to 17 report abusing prescription drugs
· Prescription drugs are the # 1 choice among 12-13-year-olds
· One (1) in seven (7) boys and one (1) in five (5) girls has shared or borrowed a prescription drug
· Nearly one (1) in ten (10) high school seniors admit abusing pain relievers
· More teens have been offered prescription drugs than other illegal ones, except marijuana